Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lame?

2/18/10 Bunch of painting supplies, trashed

My sister in law, Amanda, has arrived for a visit, and she informed me that yesterday's downsize was lame. She pointed out the fact that two other candles, which I didn't downsize, are clearly visible in the picture, and any downsize involving candles is rather weak.

I argue that the message of yesterday's downsize is very important: it's easier to get rid of those sentimental trinkets that clutter our lives than we often assume.

But, Amanda is onto something, and I assure you all, Dear Readers, that the stakes are going to get much higher. Joanna and I went through our house room-by-room yesterday and made a rather shocking list of potential furniture downsizes. Anyone want to completely refurnish their home? Stay tuned.

As for today, I finished a big improvement job on our home, as the basement is now completely re-painted. I used the accomplishment to toss out a bunch of used brushes, rollers, and stirrers that I generally hold onto. Again, not a huge downsize, but certainly something that I would NOT have trashed today if not for the challenge. I used to save all this stuff and now getting rid of it is feeling (sort-of) natural.

So the downsizes may not always be all that big, but the changes in me just might be.

4 comments:

  1. Alright, I know I've been AWOL from posting comments, but that hasn't kept me from reading them. I've been doing the 9 AM to 3 AM workday thing for a while now, catching up after missing those days visiting Allentown. But clearly, between the "lame" comment and this paintbrush thing, your goal has been to inflame me enought to get me to post again.

    First off, I can't agree that the candle-holder downsize was lame, as there is the enormous issue of "homemade by Mom" to surmount. It seems to me that the real "challenge" in the Downsizing Challenge is the sentimentality that must be overcome. If you are just a hoarder keeping too much crap around, then whatever. But handcrafted gifts, especially those made by a loved one, obviously have a much greater "inertia" than a pile of old, broken telephones. Add to that the complication that your Mom will read the blog and see her thoughtful gesture trashed, and I think that the candle and holder downsize was one of your most impressive yet, at least to me.

    However, as for the paintbrushes, may I please emphasize that no such thing as a "disposable" paintbrush should exist in your home? If a brush is cheap and crappy enough to throw out when you are done, you never should have bought it in the first place. Allow me to get on my high-horse and enlighten you as to the proper way to proceed in the future.

    First, buy only excellent brushes, and my reccomendation is to stick with only one brand, Purdy. While they are expensive, you really will ever need only two, a 1 inch angled brush for cutting in and detail work and a standard 2 inch for everything else. Purdy has the additional benefit of being widely available, even at the notorious "big box" stores.

    Then, just take care of your two new brushes, by investing in a brush comb and using it to keep them thouroughly clean. Keep paint away from the ferrule and never wrap up a brush with paint on it to "come back to later" and you will not need to buy another brush for quite a long time. I am still using my pair of Purdys after fourteen years, and they lay paint down as well today as they did then. (Caveat: this all assumes of course that we are all using water-based latex of acrylic paints. Since it is no longer 1955 and technology is what it is today, I would be hard pressed to justify the use of oil-based paints, especially with the environmnetal issues of the solvents factored in).

    Sorry about the rant, but man that's waving the red cape in front of me. It would be like me telling by grappling friend why the Vulcan neck pinch is so great (hi Jason).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the brush issue, but I haven't always bought the best bruses. I'm a Purdy convert, now. I need clarification on the "Brush comb." I have a steel brush that I use, but not sure it's the right thing. Need clarification!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed on the Purdy brushes, but I would add a third, wide brush. Not all large areas should be "rollered," and speed and holding that wet edge is important. Although your writing collaborations seem to be forever on "hold," I see an instructional manual or video in your future, guys. Get over the candle; I have no doubt Reed could downsize handmade items from Mother for quite a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The list of potential mother-made downsizes is too long to actually quantify. And, she has started to read the blog, so now I need to step a bit more carefully.

    ReplyDelete