Thursday, February 4, 2010

PEZ, part two

2/4/10 Nine Star Wars PEZ dispensers, sold on eBay for $2.35

Those of you, Dear Readers, who were paying close attention to the title of this earlier post have been expecting more PEZ. There's always more PEZ.

However, rather than wax poetic on the myriad joys of bad candy that comes in freaky plastic heads, I will simply take this opportunity to again point out Problem Number One with eBay.

Shipping costs.

Earlier this week I sold seven brand new PEZ dispensers (still in their original packaging!) for $0.99. Then, I sold nine used PEZ dispensers for $2.35. Granted, nine is more than seven, but shouldn't the fact that the first set was unopened have made them more valuable?

Well, in fact it did.

The new PEZ went for a total of $9.08, while the used PEZ sold for a total of $5.45. But, the new stuff cost so much to mail that I basically gave it away for free. Who got all the money? The United States Postal Service. (I like to pretend that at least I'm helping with the whole federal budget deficit thing.)

The higher shipping costs for the still-in-packaging items ate up 90% of my profits. Argh!

Wanna make some money?

I'm going to propose a deal right now, Dear Readers, with whichever one of you can figure out how to eliminate my eBay shipping costs. I will SPLIT 50/50 every cent I make on eBay from tomorrow until the end of the Downsize Challenge, with the first person who figures out how to get stuff to people without it costing me anything.

Been waiting for your ship to come in? It's tied to the dock, Dear Readers. You ready to take the helm?

Put on your entrepreneurial hats. We've got a problem that needs solving and money that needs making. The suggestion box is open.

2 comments:

  1. OK.. you asked for it. Its a little (A LOT) like ripping off the postal service, but it will solve your problem.

    Get the person's address. Address the package to yourself, put their address in the return address and throw it in the mail. The package should be returned to the sender with a note about no postage. If you want to even more lessen the chances it won't get sent, put their address in both places.

    It has worked in the local area, not sure if works for big distances. It would be worth sending a package of tissues or something that you don't care about to someone out of state to see if it works!!!

    I'll take my profit in large bills please!!!

    Staci Fowler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now HERE is an idea! Probably illegal, but definitely worth a test run. I'll post the results...

    ReplyDelete