Monday, January 11, 2010

The problem with eBay

1/11/10 Star Wars Millennium Falcon 3D puzzle, sold on eBay for $11.49

One of the great things I've learned from the Downsize Challenge is how to use eBay. Frankly, I've discovered that eBay totally rocks.

However, there is one problem with eBay: shipping.

Here's an example.

Today I shipped off a super cool (and basically new) puzzle of the coolest space ship ever designed for cinema, the Millennium Falcon. This isn't any puzzle, it is a 857-piece, three-dimensional puzzle.

On eBay, the puzzle sold for $11.49. I was totally satisfied with that price, and certainly feel like the puzzle was worth it.

However, because of shipping costs, the buyer actually paid $22.99. She bid the price all the way up to $23, but I receive only half of that because the postal service has to get paid to get the goods from me to her.

No offense to the USPS, but the whole key to eBay is keeping shipping costs low. If I could magically figure out how to get something from Point A to Point B for free, I could double my eBay profits.

Oh, well. As we all know, this challenge is NOT all about the Benjamins. It's all about the downsizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment