Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Big Box


12/29/09 Two door pieces, returned for refund of $20.34

Say what you will about the big box stores, they know how to handle returns. I don't want local hardware stores to go out of business, but there's a lot to be said about huge stores that have just about everything, at a reasonable price, and take stuff back with no questions.

Actually, the way I work these days is by buying about one third more than I need, knowing I'll return what I don't use. Usually, this means holding onto the receipt and heading back to the store within a few days.

A few days ago I was rooting around behind some scrap lumber in the basement and uncovered two unopened door accessories I bought a long time ago. I'm not sure exactly when I got them, but it was at least a year ago, and could have been two or three. Receipts, of course, are long gone (possibly in this downsize), but they were at least still in their original packages.

First we headed to Lowes, where I innocently plopped both items down on the return counter.

"Just here to return a few things. Sorry I don't have my receipt."

She scanned both items, and -- bingo! -- handed me $10.37 for one of them.

I pleaded ignorance on the second and headed across the street to Home Depot. Ding, ding, ding! Another $9.97.

The thing I always wonder is if the items might have actually cost less way back when I bought them. I like to imagine that I actually made a few dollars by storing these things away for a few years.

Even if I did steal a few bucks from the big boys today, the genius of their strategy is that they made me happy, which leads to me to return, again and again. No matter how much I downsize, there's always something else to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment