Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Downsize, Part V

12/22/09 Aquarium and complete set of lizard supplies, sold on craigslist for $75

When I taught at Future Leaders Institute in New York, our class pets were two water dragons named Bebop and Lady Day. (That's Bebop sleeping on my shoulder.)

They lived a rather luxurious life in a thirty-gallon tank with all of the fixings. Live crickets for dinner every day. Ah, we should all have such indulgences.

Both lizards passed on before I moved to Maine, so I was left with their luxury digs, which I carted up the East Coast and have kept at school ever since. I briefly had hermit crabs in the tank, but it's just been collecting dust for the last four years.

Now, it's destined to be a really cool Christmas present.

A Portland teacher came by today and bought the tank and lizard supplies as a surprise Christmas gift for his six-year-old son. What's his son's name?

Reid.

I swear, you can't make this stuff up.

Merry Christmas, Reid. May your bearded dragon or spotted gecko or green anoles bring you all the joy that Bebop and Lady brought to my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment