Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Too old to get carded

12/15/09 Countless baby shower cards, recycled

I know I'm going to take some heat for this one.

In the last week, we had two beautiful baby showers thrown for us. One at my school, and one at my parents' house. Joanna and I have been a bit overwhelmed by everyone's thoughtfulness and generosity. It is certainly true that our son shall not want.

In addition to the many outfits, blankets, books, toys, stuffed animals, and diapers (cloth, of course), we also received dozens of cards. I recognize that each card was carefully selected and the message inside written with love. As I documented earlier in the challenge, I can be guilty of hoarding cards, especially when I know they were given in such a meaningful way.

We read through the cards when we first received them, and I spent this evening, as I sorted and organized gifts, rereading each one of them.

I could place them on display, but we don't begin to have the shelf space to properly show them all off. Furthermore, with the holidays upon us, we are receiving Christmas cards daily, which are also fighting for attention.

So tonight, less than a week after receiving them, I recycled (almost) all of those baby shower cards.

Lest you think I am completely unappreciative, please note that I did keep ONE baby card, because it was so cute and the message was so heartfelt.

It was the one you gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment