Saturday, January 9, 2010

Artistic merit

1/9/09 One box and two bags of (mostly) art supplies, returned

My mom was the reason I always said, as I was growing up, that I DIDN'T want to be a teacher. She worked too hard (still does), for too little pay (way too little), and without proper recognition (not even close).

She was a daily example of what it took to be great at teaching, and it sure didn't look attractive to me.

Of course, twenty years later, what am I doing? Teaching.

Guess you can't reverse the effects of a good role model.

Besides following her into the profession, I've also called upon my mom in a million other ways since leaving home, including bumming various art supplies off her. With my recent assault on the basement, I discovered a wide variety of things my mom had lent me, all of which I consolidated into a huge pile.

The 'rents came over tonight to spend a little time, cook us dinner, and watch a movie (Swing Vote -- highly under-rated). Dad's Romertoph chicken and vegetables were delicious, and mom agreed to take all of her art stuff back, so the evening was a complete success.

Now, they are just waiting for the grandson to arrive. To return the favor, maybe we'll lend him out to them someday, as long as they promise to return him.

2 comments:

  1. She's my favorite teach of all time!

    I totally agree teachers are not given the credit or funds they're truly worth. It's a thankless job. But there are some of us non-teachers that see that and completly respect, appricate & admire what you all do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support, T! I'll pass your kind words along to my mom.

    ReplyDelete