Thursday, January 21, 2010

Born to read

1/21/10 Two books, returned

In preparation for Chase's birth, I bought a few used books at my favorite book source, the Casco Public Library. (Fantastic selection of pre-owned books there, available year-round! Visit today!) I found two books that proved particularly helpful, How Your Baby is Born and The Birth Partner, which came highly recommended from a doula.

I read and dog-eared both in preparation for the big day. The irony, of course, is that in the excitement of heading to the hospital I left The Birth Partner book at home. Oops. No worries, I had, of course, committed every word to memory.

But, as I mentioned in a previous post, no matter how time you put into preparation, the baby arrives in a relatively short window of time. (Ladies, I know. It sure doesn't FEEL like a short window of time, but I'm talking about in the context of a lifetime, here.)

As my cousin Amy wrote, "Childbirth is a bit like weddings in our culture, huh? Lots of prep for one or two big days then poof it is over..."

Today I took those two books to the Casco Library and donated them right back. In fact, the stickers with the prices were still attached, so I took them back into the Book Sale room and put them right on the shelf where I had originally found them.

Now, I must move onto books that will help me through the next eighteen years.

Currently on the bedside table:

A Thousand Days of Wonder: A Scientist's Chronicle of his Daughter's Developing Mind

How Babies Talk: The Magic and Mystery of Language in the First Three Years of Life (A gift from my colleague and fellow Literacy Coach Mary Reed. Thanks, Mary!)

The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer

Whew, I gotta get reading. And, of course, Dear Readers, if you have recommended parenting books I should also dive into, please send the suggestions my way. I need all the help I can get.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know, Reed...he looks bored. Better pull out the John Irving instead.


    (By the way, did you trade Jo for the kid? We want some pictures of Mom too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I need to get the new Irving novel. I'm sure the kid'll love it.

    As for Joanna, she's my full-time personal photographer. My ego doesn't want to share the spotlight...

    ReplyDelete