Sunday, January 24, 2010

Under the table


1/24/10 Bunch of scrap lumber, trashed or (to be) incinerated

Often, the power of downsizing isn't in what I get rid of, it's how it forces me to better organize what I'm holding on to.

For as long as we've lived here, the space under my workbench has served as a repository for small pieces of scrap lumber. Originally, I tried to maintain some semblance of order. In recent years, however, I've resorted to just tossing stuff down there.

Today, I did a quick reorganization of the area. I disposed of less than half of the materials, but the resulting order sent me into a state of near euphoria.

Speaking of organization, I need to point out a cool website that Joanna discovered. If you are trying to get organized, this is a great blog to check out: Unclutterer.com.

I'd also love to hear any organizing tips you may have for me. Feel free to comment on the posts or email me if you have great ideas that can help me power through this year. My ears are open, and goodness knows I can use the help!

Editor's Note, 1/28/10: The creator of Unclutterer.com was featured in a story in the New York Times yesterday. He's also got a new book out, Unclutter Your Life in One Week. Maybe he'll comp me a copy since I mentioned him...

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure about organizing tips, but this seems like an amazing amount to have accomplished with a newborn Chase in the house.

    (Either you are good at sleep deprivation or you've already got this whole parenthood thing figured out!)

    ReplyDelete