Thursday, January 7, 2010

Assertive downsizing

1/7/10 Lee Canter's Assertive Discipline ©, recycled; five packs of magic markers, given away

As I depart school each day, I try to leave my office as if I might not be returning for weeks. The plan is to take three weeks of paternity leave when the baby is born, and the baby could be born at any time.

Part of the office organizing process involves trying to cull the collection. Before leaving today, I took great delight in recycling the TIMELESS CLASSIC Lee Canter's Assertive Discipline ©. (I think we're legally required to use Lee's name when referring to his book.)

I am willing to admit that Lee Canter's Assertive Discipline © was the absolute backbone of my behavior management structure for my first two years of teaching.

I should also disclose that during my first two years of teaching, my behavior management system was an absolute, incontrovertible, utter failure. I thank Lee Canter's Assertive Discipline © for that.

And yet, somehow, I have held onto Lee Canter's Assertive Discipline © for fifteen years. It's still in perfect condition, chock-a-block full of discipline tips for the new teacher.

Throwing it in the recycle bin today felt soooooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment