Friday, January 8, 2010

Fire it up

1/8/10 Homemade shelves, incinerated

First fire of the season tonight. Latest start to the fire season ever, but I've had a great excuse. Repainted the entire basement, where the stove is located. There's a whole lotta wall down there. Painting that much wall is neither fun nor quick.

But, it's done. And it looks fabulous.

We've got a huge freeze hitting a most of the country. CNN reports that it's even cold in Key West. It's definitely time to get that stove going.

The year we moved in, I used a few pieces of birch firewood to make a tall key shelf by the front door and two wall shelves for our stereo speakers.

I only used one of the stereo shelves, so the other one (uncompleted) has sat on my workbench ever since. The key shelf has been in constant use, but I needed to move it when I painted.

Sometimes a change of perspective helps to reevaluate what needs to stay and what can go.

Once I moved that shelf, I realized it could go. That led me to grab the stereo shelf off the workbench. How appropriate to get a good fire going on this cold Friday night with two pieces of birch that have been drying for seven years.

Feel the burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment