Saturday, January 16, 2010

More Love, Less Stuff




1/16/10 "Prepared Childbirth" reference manual, trashed

My son was born yesterday.

Meyrick Chase Dyer-Payne officially entered our lives at 7:42 PM on January 15. (I know, I know: that name could use some downsizing, but we love every letter of it, so we're sticking with all four marvelous words.)

We couldn't be happier. I know every set of parents says they have the world's most beautiful baby, but the funny thing is that in this case, it turns out to be true.

With childbirth behind us, I now realize I've spent nine months preparing for an (extremely important) event that lasted less than two days. I now find myself completely unprepared for the next event (child rearing) that lasts at least eighteen years. Perhaps I have not used the last three-quarters of a year appropriately?

Actually, all of the learning I did about pregnancy, labor, and delivery was not only intellectually rewarding -- and, often, totally mind-blowing -- but it was an absolute Godsend as we experienced a trying thirty-six hours leading up to Chase's birth. Naivete would NOT have served me well.

One tool that provided some assistance was the "Prepared Childbirth" manual that accompanied the day-long childbirth class we took at the hospital last month. In one day, however, that text has changed from invaluable resource into yesterday's news.

And who needs yesterday's news?!?

Not this Cajun Critter. He's got his big hazel eyes set clearly on the future, and Joanna and I are ready to head there with him.

What's up there?

More love, less stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Wife and I are sitting in front of the monitor hugging each other.

    He's beautiful. (And the baby looks pretty good too!)

    We couldn't be happier for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of support! We're going to need them!

    ReplyDelete