Saturday, January 2, 2010

De-basement

1/2/09 Old hiking documents and other random papers, recycled

Sometimes, the significance of the downsize has little to do with what I actually get rid of. Tonight I recycled a handful of paper. That's not such a big deal.

However, the process that led to that pile of paper was a big deal, as I spent about an hour cleaning up our basement. Ah, my greatest rival.

Larry Bird has Magic Johnson. P.C. has Mac. George W. has the English language.

And I've got the basement. It is the ultimate dumping ground, the place where things accumulate, build up, and stay forever.

Someday I shall vanquish it.

Today I took some important steps forward and set aside a number of items for potential future downsizes. I also got a few areas a little better organized. There's a long way to go, but it's measurably better than it was when I began.

Watch out, basement. I'll be back.

1 comment:

  1. Your description makes me think of the vacuum cleaner from Mr. Mom :)

    ReplyDelete